8.08.2006

well my OB called me today...

apparently i DO have cholestasis of pregnancy.

Cholestasis of pregnancy is a condition in which the normal flow of bile in the gallbladder is affected by the high amounts of pregnancy hormones. Pregnancy hormones affect gallbladder function, resulting in slowing or stopping of the flow of bile. The gallbladder holds bile that is produced in the liver, which is necessary in the breakdown of fats in digestion. When the bile flow is stopped or slowed down, this causes a build up of bile acids in the liver which can spill into the bloodstream.

my only symptom has been an all over itchy feeling that started maybe 5 weeks ago. i've had several other tests run and they all came back negative so my OB wanted me to have a test run for this and it came back +.

so basically i have to go on medication that will help my body eliminate the bile and starting at 32 weeks i'll have to go in weekly for non stress tests, and depending on how those go they may induce me early (b/c in rare cases this condition can cause problems for the baby) and they certainly won't let me go past my due date.

i know everything will be ok but i'm a little freaked out.

No comments: